What is Earth From Down Under

Earth from Down Under is a blog about our twice in a lifetime retirement visits to the Antipodes with stops in Hawai'i. To stay in touch with friends and family while on our trip, we will post updates as often as possible. (Click on the photos to enlarge them for the full effect.)



Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Kiwi Design




Guess what these are !
One is struck instantly by the high standard of design in this country. Jewellery, woodenware, textiles, pottery, are items that attract tourists, young and old. I lament the fact that I have no room in my suitcase. Kiwis also design structures rather well that tend to be of a more pedestrian nature in Canada. Take “loos” for instance. I’m talking about the ones you’d find in a park or near a tourist information booth – these are frequently chemical toilets! Name one exceptional freestanding public loo in Toronto. I knew you couldn’t; I don’t think it’s possible. Most of them are unspeakable, and I resort to them only if absolutely necessary. I know the location of loos in all the department stores; they aren’t so bad.
Here in tiny Russell in the Bay of Islands on the North Island of NZ where I’m visiting at the moment, the public loo here has very attractive tiles on the outside. However on the ½ day drive up here I encountered not one but two amazing public conveniences. Now admittedly one was designed by an Austrian, Friedensreich Hundertwasser, one of my favourite artists, but the other was the tourist toilet in a wine country hamlet called Matanga. Now you be the judge, have you ever seen more amazing WCs?

No comments:

Post a Comment